- Over 17 and a half years old on the date you apply? (There's no upper age limit.)
- A UK/EU citizen or a permanent resident of the UK without any work restrictions?
- Willing to get an LGV driving license within three years of joining? (You don’t need a driving licence to apply.)
- Happy to be clean shaven, so you can safely wear breathing apparatus whilst fighting fires?
- Free from any unspent criminal convictions?
If you meet the criteria above, you can apply during our next recruitment period.
You don’t need any particular qualifications to become a firefighter, however you’ll be expected to sit tests at a similar level to English and Maths GCSEs. If you do have GCSE English and maths, you can provide certificates at your assessment day.
Skills and behaviours
Other than good fitness levels, the diverse role of a firefighter means we’re looking for people with the following skills and personal qualities:
- Working with the public
- Being flexible and able to adapt to changing situations or demands of the job
- Good communication skills which include contributing your ideas, listening to others and being clear and confident
- Being confident to take the lead and put yourself/ideas forward
- Able to think quickly and to solve problem and communicate your ideas clearly to others
- Work as a team to support others
- Skills to organise and manage your time well
- Cope well under pressure