- Over 17 and a half years old on the date you apply? (There's no upper age limit.)
- A UK/EU citizen or a permanent resident of the UK without any work restrictions?
- Willing to get an LGV driving license within three years of joining? (You don’t need a driving licence to apply.)
- Happy to be clean shaven, so you can safely wear breathing apparatus whilst fighting fires?
- Free from any unspent criminal convictions?
If you meet the criteria above, you can apply during our next recruitment period.
You don’t need any particular qualifications to become a firefighter, however you’ll be expected to sit tests at a similar level to English and Maths GCSEs.
Skills and behaviours
Other than good fitness levels, the diverse role of a firefighter means we’re looking for people with the following skills and personal qualities:
- Working with the public
- Being flexible and able to adapt to changing situations or demands of the job
- Good communication skills which include contributing your ideas, listening to others and being clear and confident
- Being confident to take the lead and put yourself/ideas forward
- Able to think quickly and to solve problem and communicate your ideas clearly to others
- Work as a team to support others
- Skills to organise and manage your time well
- Cope well under pressure