What do you need to know about large appliances and fire safety?
'white goods' are large appliances like tumble dryers, washing machines, fridges and freezers.
Sadly we attend many fires – some of them fatal – caused by faulty electrical appliances. So here's what you need to know to know to stay safe while you use these vital time savers.
- If you are concerned about the safety of a product stop using it and make your concern known to the retailer, manufacturer or your local Trading Standards office.
- Clean your tumble dryer filter after every load.
- Don't overload sockets with lots of energy-hungry appliances – follow the one plug per socket rule.
- A list of recalled products is available on the gov.uk Product Recall page.
- Take extra care with second-hand appliances, ensure they have been safety checked and are not listed on the product recall register.
- Always make sure new appliances are registered so that manufacturers can contact you in the event of any problems – it takes minutes to registermyappliance.org.uk
Total Recalls – our campaign for safer white goods
With nearly one fire a day in London involving white goods, the Brigade has launched the Total Recalls campaign to make it easier for people to protect themselves from potentially lethal faulty appliances.