London Fire Brigade is the Petroleum Enforcing Authority (PEA) for London – find out about our responsibilities and services.


Petroleum and the London Fire Brigade

As the Petroleum Enforcing Authority (PEA) for London, we are responsible for ensuring that those who keep and dispense petrol do not cause risk to the public or the environment and are compliant with the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmosphere Regulations 2002.

Petroleum Storage Certificates

Businesses, organisations and individuals who store petroleum often need what's called a Petroleum Storage Certificate. Find out if this applies to you on the Health and Safety Executive website.

The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 (P(C)R) are in force as of 1 October 2014 and replaced the petroleum licensing system with the Petroleum Storage Certificate (PSC).

Certificates are issued for the premises where the petrol is stored and dispensed, with no reference to person or company (previously known as licensees). Certificates do not have an expiry date and remain in force until either major changes take place or the site ceases to operate for more than 12 months.

The Keeper of the fuel must pay an annual fee which is calculated according to the maximum litreage of petrol stored at the site. The Keeper can choose to pay for up to ten years in advance.

If you need a certificate, there is a fee:

Band Litreage Fee

Not exceeding 2,500 litres



Exceeding 2,500 but not exceeding 50,000 litres

C Exceeding 50,000 litres  £125

These fees set by the Health and Safety Fees Regulations and are subject to review – please contact us with any questions.

Information requests

We keep records of sites which currently hold a Petroleum Storage Certificate or historically held a petroleum licence. A formal request can be made to obtain such records of a site by completing the Environmental Search Request Form and sending to

Fees are collected for this service – find them on the form – along with timescales for completion of the work. For multiple applications, a separate form is required for each address.

Contact the Petroleum Enforcing Authority (PEA)

If you have a question, you can contact the Petroleum Enforcing Authority (PEA) directly.

Contact us

Domestic and non-workplace petroleum storage

How to store petroleum safely at home

Petrol is highly flammable, explosive and toxic and there are laws that you need to follow if you are storing it.

  1. Apart from what is in your vehicle fuel tank, you can only transport petrol in securely closed containers designed for the purpose and marked 'Petroleum' and 'Highly Flammable'. Make sure containers are secured in the back of your vehicle when being transported.
  2. Filling your tank from a container should only be done in the open air.
  3. Store any containers in a garage or shed away from any other buildings. Don't keep it inside a residential property.
  4. Make sure the area is well ventilated and away from naked flames or live electrical equipment.
  5. Check containers regularly for leaks. If you smell petrol fumes, ventilate the area and make sure nobody smokes or turns electrical switches on or off. The slightest spark could cause an explosion.

Do you need a licence?

The regulations have provision for licensing domestic and non-workplace petrol storage where it is kept for private use only.

  • A person may keep up to 30 litres of petrol in suitable portable containers or in a single demountable fuel tank in a suitable storage place (see Schedule 2 of the P(C)R for further details) – not licenced.
  • A person keeping over 30 litres and less than 275 litres must notify the authority in writing with the name of the occupier, address of the premises and confirmation that the petrol is stored in accordance with regulations – not licenced. 
  • A person keeping in excess of 275 litres will require a licence. Licences may be issued for up to three years and subsequently renewed. They are issued to the licensee personally and are not transferable – licenced. 

Diesel, hydrogen and LPG storage

Who is responsible for safe diesel, hydrogen and LPG storage?

For standalone diesel, hydrogen and LPG storage and dispensing facilities – when petrol is not stored on the same premises – we are not the enforcement body.

You should contact your local authority for guidance on how to comply with your legal obligations.

Our Primary Authority Partnerships

Working together for safer petroleum storage

The petroleum group operate a number of primary authority partnerships with businesses who operate petrol dispensing premises. The primary authority scheme was introduced in 2009 under the Regulatory Enforcement and Sanctions Act (RESA) and the scheme is supported by the Regulatory Delivery who also host the Primary Authority Register, a secure database of all the partnerships accessible to the relevant enforcing authorities.

Who do we partner with?


Year partnership commenced

Sainsbury Supermarkets Ltd


Motor Fuels Group Plc


 Asda Stores Ltd 2011
 Shell UK Ltd 2011

Avis Rent a Car Ltd


Enterprise Rent A Car


Wm. Morrison Supermarkets Plc



RESA allows the enforcing authority acting as primary authority to recover its cost, but not to make a profit. The petroleum team offer hourly charged packages, which a company can choose from, dependent on how much time they anticipate they would need. All packages cover the financial year and top up packages are also available. Any additional expenditure incurred for travel, accommodation and other expenses are invoiced separately.



Useful downloads

Environmental Survey Request Form

Download PDF (100kb)

Petroleum Regulations 2014

Download PDF (587kb)

GN 75 - Risk Assessments for Petrol Dispensing Premises under Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002.

Download PDF (327kb)

Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002

Download PDF (115kb)

Other sources of information

Further guidance can be sought from the following organisations and publications:

Association for Petroleum and Explosives Administration

The organisation has members from across all sections of the industry and provides access to resources including the Guidance for Design, Construction, Modification, Maintenance and Decommissioning of Filling Stations

Energy Institute Publications

The Energy Institute has a variety of documents available, some may incur a charge.

Health and Safety Executive

Government body which provides free guidance and advice on how to comply with legal obligations.

Petroleum Enforcement Liaison Group

This group is made up of members representing enforcers and industry with the aim of providing appropriate and consistent enforcement advice. The Group have published a number of documents called PETELs as well as The Red Guide – guidance on managing the risks of fire and explosion.

You might also be interested in...