My street is flooding.

What you need to do and who you should call if your street starts to flood.

Who should I call if my street is flooding?

If you can see water building up in the street, call Floodline on 0345 988 1188.

Water building up on the street can quickly turn into an emergency. If you feel that you or someone else is in danger, call 999 immediately.

What should I do? 

The main priority is to ensure you, your employees and customers are safe. In the event of a flood there are steps you can take.

  • Make sure your phone is charged, so that you can call for help if required
  • Send your employees home if it is safe to do so
  • In an emergency be ready to turn off your gas supply, turn off your  water supply and turn off your electricity supply, if possible.
  • If you’re using candles for light, make sure you follow our safety advice on candles
  • Think about a safe place you could go to if flood water comes into your business. Don’t put yourself in danger to get there. If you are in a basement or ground floor unit, this could include moving to a unit or flat on a higher level.

Always follow advice from Floodline or the emergency services if you have called them. Never put yourself or others in unnecessary danger. 

Is there anything I can do to stop my property from flooding? 

There are steps you can take to try and limit the damage to your property.

  • Use flood barriers to divert the water away from your business and to prevent it entering. You can buy flood defences online or from a local hardware store
  • If possible (and without putting yourself at risk) move belongings to a higher level
  • Flood water can come in through toilets, so be prepared to sandbag your bathroom doors or block your toilet

You may also be interested in