The huge fire on Sadleworth Moor has shown the devastation and damage these fires can cause to open spaces and wildlife. We have attended over 20 grass fires this month and expect this to increase dramatically in London with the long period of dry weather forecasted.
If you see a grass fire, don't attempt to put it out yourself as grass fires can travel very quickly and change direction without warning. Call the fire Brigade and let us know where the fire is.
Brigade top tips on Grass fires:
- The most common causes of grass fires are discarded cigarettes, which if thrown from a car window can ignite dry grass verges
- Another common way that these fires start is from glass bottles which can concentrate the suns rays onto dry grass and shrubbery
- Never leave camp fires or barbeques unattended and extinguish them properly after you have finished using them
- Clear away bottles, glasses and any broken glass to avoid them magnifying the sun and starting a fire
- Dispose of smoking materials such as cigarettes safely
- Explain to children the dangers of playing with and lighting fires