Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to a fire at a shop with flats above on Sydenham Road in Sydenham.
The alarm was raised by a neighbour who saw smoke coming from the rear of the property.
Part of the ground floor shop was damaged by fire. There were no reports of any injuries.
The Brigade was called at 1732 and the fire was under control by 1851. Fire crews from Croydon, Beckenham, Lewisham and Woodside fire stations attended the scene.
The cause of the fire is believed to be the careless disposal of burnt materials.