Firefighters are reminding Londoners of their cooking safety advice after a fire on Cornwallis Court in Lansdowne Green.
Part of a three roomed flat on the ground floor was damaged by fire. There were no reports of any injuries.
The Brigade's Fire Investigators believe the fire was caused by materials left near an unattended gas hob catching alight.
The Brigade was called at 1202 and the fire was under control by 1227. Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Clapham, Brixton and Lambeth fire stations attended the scene.
1. Never leave cooking unattended, even for a moment
2. Always make sure the cooker is switched off once you’ve finished using it
3. Keep your oven, hob and grill clean and free from grease – a build up can be a fire hazard
4. Don’t store things like cookbooks or tea towels close to the hob as they can easily catch fire
5. Avoid cooking if you’ve been drinking alcohol
6. Never fill a pan more than a third full with oil
7. Dry chips before putting them in oil
8. Never throw water onto hot oil or fat
9. If a fire does break out you should turn the heat off if it’s safe to do so but don’t try to tackle the fire by yourself
10. Get everyone out of the house and call 999 immediately