Six fire engines and around 35 firefighters were called to a fire at a house on The Drive in Thornton Heath.
Part of the ground floor, half of the first floor and part of the roof were damaged by the fire and the staircase between the ground and first floor was destroyed. There were no reports of any injuries.
The Brigade was called at 1553 and the fire was under control by 1725. Fire crews from Norbury, Woodside, West Norwood and surrounding fire stations attended the scene.