Around a hectare of heath and woodland was burnt after a fire broke out on Bostall Heath in Bexleyheath last night.
Four fire engines and 25 firefighters from Plumstead, Bexley, Eltham and East Greenwich fire stations attended the incident.
The Brigade was called at 2222 and the fire was brought under control at 2337.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
London Fire Brigade’s grass fire statistics
- 821 grass fires attended so far in 2018
- 12,208 grass fires attended in previous five years
- Only 58 grass fires since 2013 have required four or more fire engines – large grass fires in predominantly urban areas like London are extremely unusual
The Brigade’s tips on preventing grass fires are as follows:
- Never leave camp fires or barbecues unattended and extinguish them properly after you have finished using them
- Clear away bottles, glasses and any broken glass to avoid them magnifying the sun and starting a fire
- Dispose of smoking materials such as cigarettes safely
- Explain to children the dangers of playing with and lighting fires