Strong winds overnight saw firefighters responding to several weather-related calls across London.
Windy conditions led to 16 calls between 0354 and 0953 about incidents including roof collapses, structures in precarious positions and trees which had come down on cars and property.
The Brigade’s 999 Control Officers also took several calls about fallen trees across roads and callers were advised to contact local authorities.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Firefighters are always on hand should any buildings, hoardings or scaffolding be left in a precarious position and posing a risk to life because of high winds.
“To help stay safe during windy weather people should always clear gardens, balconies and window sills of anything that could be blown away.
“Residents should also take care if they venture outside and be careful if using candles in the event of a power cut.”
Incidents attended by the Brigade overnight included:
- A tree in a precarious position in Belgrave Gardens, Southgate, at 0354. The tree had fallen against a property and blocked a doorway. Crews cleared the doorway.
- The partial collapse of a roof onto the front garden of a property in Meadow Road, Sutton, at 0406. Crews implemented a cordon.
- A chimney partially fallen onto a property in Tottenham Lane, Hornsey, at 0408. The road was closed while the scene was made safe.
- Two fallen trees blocking a road in Lombardy Close, Hainault, at 0443 which had damaged a car and a garden wall. Crews cordoned off the area.
- A tree fallen on a car in Strawberry Lane, Carshalton, at 0452. The duty of care was passed to the police.
- A tree partially fallen and precariously leaning against the roof of a property in Blessbury Road, Edgware, at 0500.
- A window in a precarious position on the third floor of a property in Rupert Road, Queen’s Park, at 0511.
- Scaffolding and tarpaulin in a precarious position at a house under refurbishment in Chelsfield Lane, Orpington, at 0514. Crews made sure it was secure.
- Boats breaking free from moorings at Lambeth Pier at 0524. Five vessels had broken free and the incident was handed over to the Port of London Authority.
- A person trapped in their house due to a fallen tree across the front in Radzan Close, Dartford, at 0646. The tree had damaged the roof, window and a car.
- A sign in a precarious position in Putney High Street, Putney, at 0821.
- Lead sheeting in a precarious position on a roof in Elystan Street, Chelsea, at 0822.
- Wooden roofing in a precarious position at a shop in Brent Street, Hendon, at 0827.
- Lead roofing in a precarious position in High Street, Enfield, at 0921.
- A tree in a precarious position in Hillview Road, Orpington, at 0950.
- Wooden materials in a precarious position in Nottingham Place, Marylebone, at 0953.