Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to a fire at a restaurant with flats above on Lordship Lane, East Dulwich.
The fire was discovered when the owner smelt burning and discovered a fire in the kitchen. The restaurant's kitchen was destroyed by fire. Three members of staff left before the arrival of the Brigade.
The fire is believed to have been caused by vegetable oil being heated and left unattended. The oil ignited and the fire spread into the extraction system which contained large amounts of grease deposits.
The Brigade was called at 1650 and the fire was under control at 1801. Fire crews from Peckham, New Cross, Forest Hill, and Brixton fire stations attended the scene.