Six fire engines and around 40 firefighters were called to a fire at a farm in St Mary's Lane, Upminster.
A small part of a single-storey workshop was damaged by fire. A mound of manure was also damaged by the blaze. Fours horses were led to safety before the Brigade arrived.
Seven gas cylinders were removed to a safe area to make sure they did not become involved in the blaze.
The Brigade was called at 1657 and the fire was under control at 1834. Fire crews from Dagenham, Harold Hill, Romford, Wennington, Barking and Erith fire stations as well as colleagues from Essex Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene.