We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. To find out more or to learn how to change your computer settings on our cookies page.
Firefighters are reminding people to take care with candles this Christmas after one left burning in a wardrobe sparked a flat fire on Cottage Road in Islington N7 yesterday afternoon (Friday 22 December).
The fire, which was accidental, was confined to the wardrobe in a bedroom of the second floor property and a woman and six children left the flat before the Brigade arrived. All were treated on the scene for smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service.
The alarm was raised by one of the residents who saw smoke coming from the bedroom. The flat was fitted with a smoke alarm and heat detector but these did not go off.
The Brigade was called at 1643 and the fire was under control by 1753. Crews from Islington, Kentish Town and Stoke Newington fire stations attended the incident.
Warning people of the importance of not leaving candles unattended a Brigade spokesperson said: “Candles, incense and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire within homes. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.
“It is also vital to have working smoke alarms in your property. Everyone should have at least one smoke alarm on every level of their home. This will give the earliest warning if there is a fire.
“As a minimum you should have smoke alarms on every floor - in the hallways and the rooms you use the most, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen.”
Top candle safety tips
• Keep candles/tea lights away from curtains, furniture and anything else that can catch fire.
• Keep loose clothing and hair away from candles/tea lights when they are lit.
• Always place your candles/tea lights in a suitable fire resistant candleholder
• Make sure the candleholder holds the candle/tea light firmly and is on a flat and stable surface to stop it falling over.
• Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed Keep out of reach of children and pets