Firefighters are urging people to read the instructions on their fireworks after a stray rocket caused a garage blaze on Saint Pauls Rise in Palmers Green last night.
The whole of the garage was destroyed by the blaze. Around 15 people left the garden through the house before the Brigade arrived. A number of people were treated by London Ambulance Service crews for smoke inhalation.
Southgate Fire Station Watch Manager Grant Andrea said:
“Make sure you have a good distance between where you light your fireworks and properties and always read the instructions. Firefighters did a great job of stopping the fire from spreading to the adjoining home and limiting damage.”
• Only buy fireworks marked with the British Standard Kitemark BS7114
• Don't drink alcohol if setting off fireworks
• Keep fireworks in a closed box and always follow the instructions carefully when using them
• Light them at arms length using a taper and stand well back
• Never go back to them once they are lit. Even if a firework hasn't gone off, it could still explode
• Never throw fireworks and never put them in your pocket
• Respect your neighbours – don’t let off fireworks late at night and remember there are laws to follow
• Take care with sparklers – never give them to children under five. Even when they have gone out they are still hot so put sparklers in a bucket of water after use
• Keep your pets indoors throughout the evening
The Brigade was called at 2314 and the fire was under control by 0036. Fire crews from Southgate, Tottenham and Edmonton fire stations were at the scene.