A fire is believed to have been caused by a candle at a two storey house on Worcester Avenue in Tottenham on Friday night.
The front bedroom on the ground floor as well as the hallway and staircase were damaged by fire.
A Brigade spokesperson said:
“Many people have candles in their homes but if they are not used safely they can be a huge fire risk. In this case we believe the fire was started by a candle too close to furnishings.”
Advice to keep you safe
• Always use a heat resistant holder on a stable surface, which won't be knocked over
• Tea lights can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath
• Keep these items away from materials that may catch fire such as curtains, furniture, clothes and hair
• Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed
• Keep out of reach of children and pets
Four fire engines and 21 firefighters and officers attended the blaze from Tottenham, Hornsey and Walthamstow fire stations. The Brigade was called at 2133 and the fire was under control by 2234.