Firefighters were called to a fire on Turin Street yesterday afternoon. When they arrived the fire had burnt out but not before badly damaging the bathroom. The Brigade’s fire investigation team believe the fire was caused by candles left unattended on an acrylic bath.
London Fire Brigade spokesperson said:
“Candles are popular in the bathroom, but if they’re not placed on a heat proof surface, they can melt through your bath or toilet. This is especially important with tea lights, which get very hot on the bottom.”
• Always use a heat resistant holder on a stable surface, which won't be knocked over
• Tea lights can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath
• Keep these items away from materials that may catch fire such as curtains, furniture, clothes and hair
• Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed
• Keep out of reach of children and pets
The Brigade was called at 1511. Fire crews from Bethnal Green, Shoreditch, Whitechapel and Dowgate attended the incident.