London Fire Brigade

Now and then: fascinating photos show how some of London's old fire stations are being reused

17 June 2016

These rare images capture how some of the Brigade's old fire stations are still standing and how some have found a new lease of life.

While London has changed significantly over the years, many of the old stations - some built more than a century ago - look exactly as they used to. This map shows the location of all the Brigade's stations, past and present.

Since the formation of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade in 1866, there have been 270 fire stations used across the capital, with 103 currently operational.

The Brigade has recently completed a rebuilding programme to replace nine fire stations that were in poor condition and no longer met the modern requirements of a fire and rescue service.

Holloway

Built behind the site of the former fire station, this station opened on Mayton Street in 1908 and later closed in 1974.

It is now being used as a local community centre by the Holloway Neighbourhood Group. The current Holloway fire station opened in 1975 and is situated on Hornsey Road.



Hampstead

Hampstead fire station opened in 1873 on the corner of Heath Street and Holly Hill. It was closed in 1920 but the distinctive clock tower can still be seen today.

Today it is occupied by a branch of the Nationwide Building Society. West Hampstead fire station is located less than a mile from the former Hampstead station.


Scotland Yard

Scotland Yard fire station opened in 1884 and closed in 1922.

Situated on Great Scotland Yard, between Whitehall and Northumberland, the former station is now home to The Civil Service Club.


Brompton

Built on the site of the original Brompton fire station, this station, on South Parade off Fulham Road, opened in 1893 and closed in 1964.

The old station now houses the Royal Brompton Centre for Sleep - part of NHS Royal Brompton and Harefield.


Perry Vale

Perry Vale fire station, in the London borough of Lewisham, opened in 1901 at a cost of £12,000 and housed 12 firefighters and their families. The station closed in 1971.

The Grade-II listed building was used as a council housing office and as temporary accommodation up until 2008. It has now been converted into flats.


Bishopsgate

Built on the same site of the original Bishopsgate fire station, the newer station opened its doors in 1885 and remained in operation until 1964.

Today the Grade-II listed building, which is opposite London Liverpool Street station, houses a Tesco Metro store.


Shoreditch

Located on Tabernacle Street, the station opened in 1896 and closed in 1964 when the current Shoreditch fire station, located on Old Street, opened.

The former station has been converted into a restaurant.


Manchester Square

Manchester Square fire station opened in 1889 as one of the first purpose-built stations in the capital. In its heyday in the 1960s, the station was home to the A Division HQ.

The Grade-II listed station served London for more than a century before being closed in 2005. It is now home to Chiltern Firehouse, a restaurant and hotel.


Bethnal Green

Located a few minutes walk from the current Bethnal Green fire station, the former station is now occupied by the London Buddhist Centre.

The station opened in 1889 and closed in 1968.


Stoke Newington

Opened in 1885, Stoke Newington fire station served the area until 1973, when it was replaced by the current station, which is located around the corner on Church Street.

Nowadays the former station is owned by Hackney Council and provides a community facility for local people and businesses.


West Norwood

Based near West Norwood train station, the former West Norwood fire station was built in 1882 and housed 26 firefighters and their families.

The station closed in 1914 with the advent of motorised fire engines, which were too big to fit through the doors. A replacement station opened further up the road but closed in 1913 and closed in 2013 when another new station opened on Knights Hill, in 2014.

Now a Grade-II listed building, the building has been used since 1967 by the South London Theatre Company.


Lewisham

Built in 1898, the former Lewisham fire station served the area until 1965, when it was closed and replaced two years later by the current Lewisham fire station.

Nowadays the station is home to a recruitment organisation and has been converted into flats above.