Safety by the water
Every year people in London drown in rivers, lakes and canals but many of these deaths could be avoided.
- Always supervise children playing near the water's edge.
- Never swim in water which has not been designated a swimming area. Ponds and lakes may contain hidden dangers that can often trap or injure a swimmer. Flowing water such as a river often contains strong currents which can carry even expert swimmers far from shore.
- Always check the depth before entering the water. Never just jump or dive in.
- Never swim alone or in unsupervised places.
- Never drink alcohol during or just before swimming or while carrying out activities such as boating or water skiing.
- Always obey safety signs.
- Keep fire safety in mind if staying on a boat.