This map shows the area covered by the London Fire Brigade in 1965. The badges represent the county fire brigades that were either wholly or partially amalgamated to form the new London Fire Brigade under the Greater London Council.
The area that the London Fire Brigade served grew in 1965, when the Greater London Council (GLC) was formed.
Previously the boundary of the London County Council, formed in 1889, was much smaller. As London grew and spread into the countryside, it was decided that the boundary needed to be extended to include Middlesex, Croydon, East and West Ham and 83 other boroughs.
The GLC also introduced the one crown badge, which became part of the London Fire Brigade’s (LFB) identity.